M.S. in Real Estate
Build Development Skills and Gain New Expertise
The Master of Science in Real Estate degree program brings into focus the value addition of Real Estate Development, with the Urban Land Institute’s UrbanPlan, to the city and its community. The program provides students with an opportunity to obtain a better understanding of the mechanics of real estate decision making in modern society, as well as a greater depth of training in the discipline of real estate decision making.
Students will be prepared for careers in real estate finance, development, investment and valuation research analysis, real estate management, and public sector careers such as urban planning, tax assessment, and community development.
In the MSRE program, students are exposed to the theory, research, and practical applications of numerous real estate and urban planning content areas, including:
- Investment Analysis
- Valuation, Statistics, and Analytics
- Real Estate Development
- Primary and Secondary Mortgage Markets
- Mortgage-Backed Securities
- Landscape Architecture and Urban Design
- Earn your degree in only 15 months
- Accelerated Saturday only classes
- Take one course at a time
- Cohort, team-based approach – start and finish with a core group of students
- Classes meet at convenient downtown Fort Worth location
- Fully accredited by AACSB International – a distinction earned by less than 5% of business schools worldwide
- 2. REAE 5321 (Seminar in Real Estate Investment) (Pre-Requisite: REAE 5311)
- 3. REAE 5334 (Seminar in Real Estate Appraisal) (Pre-Requisite: REAE 5311)
- 4. REAE 5319 (Seminar in Real Estate Finance) (Pre-Requisite: REAE 5311)
- 5. REAE 5314 (Seminar in Real Estate Development) (Pre-Requisite: REAE 5311)
- 6. REAE 5316 (Adaptive Reuse & Redevelopment of Commercial Investment Real Estate)
- 7. REAE 5350 (Quantitative Methods for Real Estate)
- 8. PLAN 5304 (Plan, Implementation, Zoning and Regulations)*
- 9. PLAN 5308 (Metropolitan Sustainability and Plan Making)*
- 10. PLAN 5310 (Planning, Urban Development and Structure)*
- 11. PLAN 5316 (Land Use Planning and The Law)*
- 12. LARC 5382 (Urban Design Seminar)*
* Can be substituted by another suitable CIRP or LARC course upon approval
- REAE – Real Estate (College of Business)
- LARC – Landscape Architecture (College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs)
- PLAN – City and Regional Planning (College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs)
Please note that all applicants will be considered and applications are considered holistically. Along with the grade point average and GMAT or GRE scores, admission criteria include the following:
- An undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by Graduate Admissions, is typical of a successful candidate. This will be integrated into a formula or index that multiplies the GPA by 200 and adds the resulting value to the GMAT Score. An index score greater than 1070 or higher is typical of a successful candidate.
- GMAT sub-scores (verbal and quantitative) are also considered in the admission decision. GMAT sub scores greater than the 30th percentiles are typical of a successful candidate.
- A GRE quantitative percentile greater than the 30th percentile and Verbal percentile greater than the 30th percentile is typical of a successful applicant.
- International applicants must submit a score of at least 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, a minimum score of 40 on the TSE, a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS, or a minimum TOEFL iBT total score of 79 with sectional scores that meet or exceed 22 for the writing section, 21 for the speaking section, 20 for the reading section, and 16 for the listening section to meet this requirement.
- Grades in specified undergraduate business and non-business courses (math, accounting, economics, statistics, for example)
- Educational objectives and quality of written expression of the 200-word application essay.
- Letters (2 are required) of recommendation from two persons familiar with the applicant’s academic background and/or work experience who can assess the applicant’s potential success in graduate school.
- General and specific program accreditation status of degree-granting institution.
- Professional work experience.
- Professional certification or licensure.
For unconditional admission, the applicant’s composite total form the index must be 1070 or higher and items 1 through 5 above should strongly indicate potential for successful academic performance as a graduate real estate student.
Students who are unconditionally admitted, have a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 as calculated by Graduate Admissions (or 3.0 at the graduate level), and enroll for a minimum of six semester credit hours will be eligible for available fellowship and/or scholarship support. A standardized test score (GMAT) will not be used as the primary criterion for determining fellowship and/or scholarship eligibility.
For an applicant with an index score below 1070, probationary admission may be available if items 1-10 indicate a potential for successful academic performance as a graduate real estate student. Probationary admission requires the student to maintain a 3.0-grade point average for the first two semesters of enrollment. Additionally, the student may be required to take deficiency courses.
PROVISIONAL, DEFERRED AND DENIED ADMISSION
A provisional decision to admit may be granted when the applicant meets criteria for unconditional or probationary status but one or more applicant credentials are incomplete. A deferred decision may be made when an applicant’s file is not sufficiently complete to make a final admission decision.
For an applicant with an index score less than 1000 and if items 1-10 do not indicate a potential for successful academic performance as a graduate real estate student admission will likely be denied. All applicant data will be carefully reviewed before an admission denial is made.
WAIVER OF GMAT SCORE FOR GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT STUDENTS
Students who successfully complete the Graduate Certificate in Real Estate Development with a GPA of 3.5 or higher will, upon the recommendation of the Real Estate Admissions Committee and approval of the Dean of Business, be granted a waiver of the GMAT requirement for their application to the Master of Science in Real Estate program.
The following documents must be received for consideration of admission.
- Submit your online application at applytexas.org
- Please note “MSRE” as the program of study on the application
- Submit application fee ($75 – U.S. citizens and permanent residents with no foreign transcripts/$90 – applicants with foreign coursework)
- Submit official transcripts from each college or university you attended to the Office of Admissions. Currently enrolled or former UTA students do not need to request their UTA transcript. If you have foreign coursework, you must submit official foreign transcripts, or mark sheets and diplomas, that bears the original university seal and original signature of the Registrar. View our Official Transcript Guidelines for more information. (View transcript guidelines)
- Submit official GRE or GMAT scores – official test score reports should be sent directly from the testing agency. UTA’s ETS institutional code is 6013. Individuals may be eligible to receive a 50 percent GRE Fee Reduction voucher for the general test and/or a subject test. Visit the GRE website to learn more about the GRE Fee Reduction Program. (GRE Fee Reduction Program)
- Submit 3 letters of recommendation – addressing the applicant’s potential for success in the graduate program from persons knowledgeable of the applicant’s abilities
- Submit resume – email to email@example.com
You may contact the Graduate Business Services Office to check the status of your application. USA students should allow 4 weeks between submission and status check. International/Permanent Resident students should allow 6 weeks between submission and status check.
Your visit is the perfect time to get a feel for our distinct culture, learn about our world-class academics, meet with our student support team, and experience our beautiful campus and vibrant downtown.
SCHEDULE A CAMPUS VISIT